Pages

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Coming Alive



"Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." - Howard Thurman

Tomorrow I will trade in my chunky summer highlights for a warmer Fall look. Whether or not I ever choose to do this look again, I will remember it as a symbol of my coming alive again in my 30's.

You see, I want my outside to reflect my inside. Inside I am fun, outgoing, and a little flamboyant.

In my youth, I loved to dance and play with clothes, makeup and jewelry. I was also the white girl who wanted to sing in our high school's Gospel choir (but Mom didn't think that was a good idea.)

Somewhere along the way I learned to tone it down - not lying, really, just not telling the whole truth - until finally that special little girl became dull, lost in the quest for acceptance.

So, to all of the other Dull Janes out there, I say, "Uncover that special little girl again. The world needs us to come alive."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...