Pages

Sunday, November 16, 2008

New Column: Sabbath Sweets

Welcome to my new weekly column called "Sabbath Sweets: Satisfaction for the Soul." Through this feature, I will write about satisfying our soul cravings. My faith plays a huge role in who I am, how I live, and where I am headed. Each Sunday, I hope to share something I have learned through that faith life to encourage yours.

This week's wisdom comes from Proverbs 27:7 The Message:
When you've stuffed yourself, you refuse dessert;
when you're starved, you could eat a horse.

How true this has been in my life! I've starved myself with dieting, only to eat more than normal to quiet my hunger pangs. Or, I've stuffed myself, like most Thanksgivings, until I couldn't possibly eat another bite.

The New Living Translation says it a different way:
"A person who is full refuses honey"

This is the very reason I will undergo lap-band surgery next week, to finally achieve fullness so that I will refuse food.

Isn't God wonderful to give us the Holy Spirit as a Helper, but also modern technologies like a gastric band?!? I say a definite "Amen!"

What helps has He provided in your life? A faithful friend? A trusted counselor? Talents & hobbies? Be sure to thank Him this week for providing the help that you need to succeed.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...