Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Gotta Tell Ya Tuesday - When the Student is Ready, the Teacher Arrives

Have you ever connected with a mentor right out of the gate without ever meeting them? It happened to me twice this week.

First, I picked up a copy of The Velveteen Woman - Becoming Real Through God's Transforming Love by Brenda Waggoner at a local thrift store. I wasn't familiar with the author and only a little familiar with The Velveteen Rabbit, but I was intrigued. The inside dust jacket met a longing I hadn't put into words.

"Does it hurt to become real?" the rabbit asked. "Sometimes," the Skin Horse replied. "Becoming real doesn't happen to those who break easily or have sharp edges or have to be carefully kept."


This book is about becoming REAL - real faith, real transparency, real intimacy with Savior. And, yes, real pain. That's where we all live, isn't it? Are you willing to risk being loved, really loved, in order to shed the fake fur of "easily broken religion" for the warm reality of intimacy with God?
Wow. YES! I'm only on chapter 3, but I have already learned a great deal through Brenda's insights and transparency. If you are struggling with guilt over past sins, numbness, or superficial spirituality, I invite you to check out this author.


I was introduced to another author, Barbara Sher, through an email looking for people with "too many interests." I hit reply, then typed out a long list of reasons I fit the bill - writing, speaking, voiceovers, cooking, scrapbooking, adoption, Russia, blogging, vlogging, social networking, weight loss & fitness (Whew! And that's just to name a few.) Barbara's assistant directed me to a podcast on "scanners." Barbara defined scanners as people who are genetically wired to be interested in many things. What is often considered a weakness, Barbara described as a gift. For example, a child who likes all instruments and cannot choose one would make an excellent orchestra conductor. Do you see where she's going with this? :)

Finally, I can embrace my jack-of-all-trades mentality and my love of learning with a name! And, it's not only okay, it's awesome :) The issue is really how to manage my time to accommodate all of these interests. I'll be reading and listening to what Barbara has to say on this. I really think it will help me. Stay tuned. In the meantime, if this sounds like you or someone you love, you can read this excerpt from one of Barbara's books. You can also listen to the podcast I mentioned.

Confucius has been quoted as saying, "When the student is ready, the teacher arrives." I believe God has been preparing this student. Now, He is sending the right teachers my way, and I'm forever grateful.

2 comments:

Cascia Talbert said...

Sounds like a beautiful book.

Cinder Rail'lee said...

I'm going to pick that book up. Thank you for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...