Pages

Sunday, July 26, 2009

New Things

"Do not remember the former things,
Nor consider the things of old.
Behold, I will do a new thing,
Now it shall spring forth;
Shall you not know it?
I will even make a road in the wilderness
And rivers in the desert."
~Isaiah 43:18-19 NKJV

A few years ago, I read this verse with the encouragement that God was about to do a new thing in my life. We were going through infertility, and I took it as a promise that God would eventually make us parents in His perfect way & timing.

Looking back, I could never have predicted all of the "new things" God had in mind. Frankly, if He had shown them all to me ahead of time, I might have run the other way!

~He blessed us with a son through adoption, prompting me to write Praying Through Your Adoption.
~He removed me from my church secretary position and cleared the way to pursue my childhood love of writing.
~He moved us to a different home, and brought my parents to live with us in their own in-law suite.
~He provided lap-band surgery as a tool for permanent weight loss and a healthier life.
~He prompted us to leave our church home of 13 years to find one in our new community.
~He's surrounded me with family, friends & mentors who are encouraging me in these new opportunities.


Great, huh?

Well, now it's confession time. I did not embrace each new thing as it was happening. I asked questions like...
~Why would God make us suffer through unsuccessful fertility treatments followed by a difficult and delayed adoption?
~Why would God fire me as a church secretary and challenge me to grieve in the midst of adjusting to motherhood?
~Why would God make me an only child?
~Why would God give me a life-long struggle with weight & self-esteem?
~Why would God remove us from the comforts of the church where we were baptized, married, and in ministry?
~Why would God remove dear friends from our lives?


Then, it hit me.

If God says He is doing a new thing,
LET Him!


Let Him. Any difficulty, any hurt I experienced in these changes pales in comparison to the blessings of His divine plan. I have a completely different life than the one I envisioned because of the Master Craftsman.

When God wants to do a new thing in your life, don't fight Him. LET Him. Amen?

2 comments:

Cinder Rail'lee said...

Amen, Sometimes we think we have all the answers and in all actuality he has them all..

My sister always so fondly says,
Want to make GOD laugh?

"Tell him what you want to do with your life".

Cinder Rail'lee said...

I awarded YOU

Now since I'm so not into rules, heh heh, all you have to do is pass them on.

I hate rules. LOL.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...